Saturday 30 September 2017

Newly-published children’s books provide engaging bilingual adventures in English and French: Interview with the author


Two newly-published children’s books, which follow the adventures of bilingual characters Justine and Sebastien, were inspired by the French author’s experiences in New York. I spoke with author Claire Gray-Simon about her new works, including the creative process, the importance of bilingualism and what it felt like to receive the first published copies.    

Author Claire Gray-Simon with her two new bilingual children's books.

Tell me about your new books


My books are titled “The First Day / Le premier jour” and “The Birthday Party / La fête d’anniversaire”. Written for children aged between four and seven years old, they are the first two books in the series ‘The Adventures of Justine and Sebastien, the Bilingual Children’.

In the first book, Justine and Sebastien – who are aged five years old -- meet during their first day at school. Realizing that they can speak to each other in both English and French, Justine and Sebastien quickly become friends. Getting lost in the school, they have their first adventure together and end up sharing a secret.

In the second book, Justine celebrates her sixth birthday with a party organized by her mum. Justine, Sebastien and the other children are treated to a captivating magic show. But later, a bird that was conjured out of a hat leads to a close call for the two children.

At the end of each book there is a lexicon with a selection of words linked to the main theme.



What was your inspiration?


I originally started the stories while living in New York with my family, where we met a number of bilingual English-French families. I observed as my older son, Ben -- then aged about five -- played with other bilingual children. The children switched languages very easily, sometimes starting a sentence in English and finishing it in French. Witnessing these kinds of interactions gave me the idea for two bilingual children’s book characters – Justine and Sebastien. Following this, I came up with stories for the characters.

My stories focus mainly on the relationship and friendship that develops between Justine and Sebastien, and their special bond, which is based on their shared bilingualism.

More generally, I’ve been influenced by the works of classic authors. For example, the English authors Lewis Carroll and Beatrix Potter, along with the American H.A. Rey and his ‘Adventures of Curious George’ were important. French influence included Les Contes de Charles Perrault and Les Fables de Jean de la Fontaine.


How did your books develop?


I originally wrote these two stories in French and translated them into English. Later, after having lived in English-speaking countries for some time and becoming more confident with English idioms, I rewrote the stories in English. Initially I published them on a website with full English and French versions and my own drawings. After receiving feedback from various people, I decided to publish them in book form.

The text in the books is not fully bilingual, because I wanted to take a more subtle approach. All of the text is in English, but the dialogue of Justine and Sebastien is in both English and French. This seems a realistic approach, as the two children can speak in both languages.


What’s the best thing about writing a children’s book?


I really love the process of writing, especially finding an idea and how to express it. There is a sense of freedom involved where I can write about anything. I like to think over an idea and become a little detached from reality in the process.

I’ve always been fascinated with the children’s world. I love creating characters which are mine and I want others to love them too. I just really love fiction and want my own stories to find an audience.


What do you see as the aim of your books?
 


The books are mainly designed for English-speaking children, to help them discover, in a gentle way, a new language. For other children, with some level of existing French, the books provide an opportunity to practice, particularly with creating sentences. Some children may even consider French as a secret code that allows them to play games and have fun. More generally, the books promote reading and entertain children.

I see bilingualism as important because it opens doors and horizons, provides different ways of thinking, and can help with travel and work. Knowing two languages can only be a plus. Having said that, it’s totally possible to use the books – such as for reading or reading aloud -- without the French text.


How did you feel when the printed copies arrived?


I was super happy! The box was left at my neighbours place. When I saw the package, I couldn’t think what it might be, as I wasn’t expecting the books to arrive so early. It was a great surprise.


What was it like to work with an illustrator?


It was brilliant to work with the Designer at Rowanvale. I came to the process with a vision of my characters in my mind, but I needed to express this in words so that the concept could be created as images on the page. I outlined their personalities, and described their expressions and their clothing and so on.

I see Justine as a luminous, adventurous tomboy and the natural leader, while Sebastien is characterized by a more reserved manner. I liked them to go to school in casual clothes, while the number eight on Sebastien’s t-shirt was taken from the name of the school that my son Ben attended in New York.

After Justine and Sebastien were created, we moved to storyboards and then complete illustrations. It was a very cooperative process and exciting to see the characters come alive.


Do you plan to write more books?


I love working on these characters and I do have other stories in the works. Although it’s still early days, I hope to release another one next year.


What’s your background?


I was born in Chaumont, in the east of France, but grew up in Paris. I originally started at university training to be a medical doctor, but found that it wasn’t really for me. I really loved books and reading, so switched to French literature. While studying I did student jobs in schools such as being a lunch monitor and helping to run after-school clubs. 

After completing my undergraduate degree, I spent a year in London with the Erasmus exchange programme, which was a great experience. I returned to Paris, where I did my Masters research at the University of Paris 8 on the correspondence of 19th century French novelist Gustave Flaubert.
I have taught French to children and adults for a number of years in the United Kingdom. I currently live in Edinburgh with my husband Phil and our two children, Ben and Thomas.


How can people get hold of your books?


The books were officially released on 30 September and are available online from several places:







 




No comments:

Post a Comment