Thursday 6 July 2017

Learning French at the Alliance Française in Rouen, France



I spent three weeks during June 2017 studying French at the Alliance Française in Rouen, the capital of Normandy. I wish it could have been longer! 

I’ve been learning French through evening classes and weekend classes, when they have been available, over a long period. Progress has been slow. I spent a month at the Alliance Française in Lyon in 2015 and that was a real boost. (See the post: ‘French classes at Alliance Française in Lyon’)

I felt that it was time to do another intensive course in French. I wanted to learn a lot and also get a better idea of my level. I chose Rouen because I had visited before and really liked it. 

Registering online with Alliance Française de Rouen was very easy and efficient. I did a test of my level online before arriving at the school, which was established in 1986 and holds the coveted FLE Qualité label.

View of the school from the street.

The Alliance Française in Rouen is a relatively small school, compared for example, to its counterpart in Lyon. Centrally-located (about a five minute walk from the train station) and housed in a stylish three-floor building with a small resource centre, I found the school to be just right for me.

I had chosen 25 hours of classes per week, but that option was not available, so I ended up doing 20 hours a week. On reflection I’m glad of the fewer hours, as it left more time for homework – which was assigned every day – to take part in school activities, to look around Rouen and Normandy, and to do my own revision.

The 20 hours per week was broken down into general French (three hours a day) and ateliers (workshops) of one hour a day. The general French classes run in six-week sessions. For post-beginners, it’s possible to join classes every Monday, while for absolute beginners, there are set starting dates throughout the year. 

The cool staircase.

My class had no more than nine people at any one time and often fewer students. I found the grammar classes to be very instructive and helped me to build on my existing knowledge, as well as consolidate the basics. A test at the end of the session gave me a good sense of my level. We also discussed the DELF exams. 

I really liked the ateliers – led by a variety of teachers -- because they were varied, interesting and challenging. The hour just seemed to fly by. Topics included a debate, a quiz on the history of France, preparation for a movie excursion, analysis of a short film, understanding a music video and creative writing. 

A free concert at the school.

The school offered additional activities, some of them free. These included a classical music concert, a degustation (French food tasting), a weekly film (with French subtitles) and a very informative guided tour of Rouen. 

I stayed with a host family, which was an enriching experience, with daily opportunities to practice French, learn about French culture, society and history, and, not least, get a firsthand experience of what French people eat when they are at home. My host family was very welcoming and I felt just like one of the family. The house was on the bus route and about a 30 minute walk to school.   

The resource centre, with books, internet-equipped computers and wifi.

Rouen itself is a great place with friendly people. As a city it is neither too big nor too small, with plenty of museums, cultural activities, shopping opportunities and open-air markets. Rouen is also well-placed for visits to other parts of Normandy, and to nearby Picardy and Paris, the latter being just 1 hour and 15 minutes away by train.

In summary, I found Alliance Française de Rouen to be a very welcoming school, with friendly, enthusiastic and knowledgeable teaching and administration staff. I learned a lot – including extending my understanding of imparfait and passé composé -- and I enjoyed the extra-curricular activities and the experience of living with a host family.

I thoroughly recommend this school and, for myself, I hope to attend again soon.



Find out more about Alliance Française de Rouen-Normandie at their website and connect with them on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment